Suspected Bondi Shooters Acted Alone and Did Not Instruction in the Philippines, Investigators Say.

Law enforcement officials speaking at a media conference
Australian Federal Police state there is lack of proof the accused Bondi Beach gunmen acted as part of a broader group.

The two suspected individuals responsible for the lethal attack at a Hanukkah celebration on Bondi Beach, which claimed 15 lives, are believed to have acted alone, per national authorities.

Police also confirmed that the 50-year-old Sajid Akram, and his 24-year-old son Naveed Akram, 24, journeyed to the Philippines on 1 November. Their travel plans included arriving in the main city Manila before transiting on the day of arrival to Davao City. The pair returned to Sydney on 29 November.

No Evidence of Training During Stay

Authorities have stated the duo did not partake in any form of attack-related coaching or "planning" during their time in the Philippines. Preliminary investigations from local officials point to they "mostly stayed in" their accommodation.

The attack—declared Australia's worst mass shooting since 1996—has been formally designated a act of terrorism.

"We are actively reviewing the evidence," she said, adding that initial reviews indicate that "these individuals are alleged to have acted alone."

Australian Federal Police Chief Krissy Barrett informed reporters on Tuesday that CCTV footage tracking the accused attackers' movements in the Philippines had been handed over to Australian authorities.

"Our investigation shows no evidence to indicate these alleged offenders were part of a wider network, or were directed by external parties to carry out an incident," she said.

However, the pair were likewise not necessarily in the Philippines on a leisure trip, the official added. She underscored that, as the investigation is still active, fresh information may emerge.

Ideology and Legal Charges

In prior statements, Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese said it appears both alleged attackers were "inspired by the so-called Islamic State" extremist views.

During the incident, Sajid Akram was shot dead by responding officers. He and his son Naveed—both armed with long-barrelled guns—allegedly shot attendees at the Hanukkah event.

Naveed Akram, who was hospitalised after the shooting, has been charged with 59 offences. These include 15 charges of murder and one count of carrying out a act of terrorism. He is expected to face court in April.

Travel Details

In the aftermath following the attack, border officials in the Philippines stated that the older suspect had arrived in the country using an foreign passport, while his son used an Australian passport.

The pair had listed the metropolis of Davao as their intended endpoint. Their pre-arranged journey back to Australia was for Sydney.

Davao is a large urban center on the east of Mindanao, the Philippines' largest southern island. It is noted that, Militant fighters have been known to operate in less developed parts of southern and western Mindanao.

Tara Cortez
Tara Cortez

A passionate mountaineer and travel writer with over a decade of experience exploring Europe's peaks, sharing stories and practical advice.